This book contains thirty-one learned
articles on different subjects of Dharmasastra to give a meaningful introduction to
Dharmasastra literature of India. Although subject matter of Dharmasastra is traditionally
arranged in three sections; namely acara, vyavahara and prayascitta relating to custom,
behaviour and ethics respectively, articles included in this book have been designed in a
very modern way of postulation. That, origin and development of Dharmasastra are the
subjects of history of this literature, is placed at the outset. Unlike other topics
included in it, modern value of Dharmasastra has been successfully dealt with in it at
last. Between these two an introductory analysis is made of subjects like origin of
religion, law, rajadharma, ancestor worship, stages of life, inheritance, sacraments,
sraddha, adoption, expiation, spiritualism, pilgrimage, etc.
- The Dharmasastra: An Introductory
Analysis / Brajakishore Swain
- The Smartasutras / F. Max
- Manu / C. K. Raja
- The Origin of Religion / M.
- Religion and Spirituality / Sri
- The Sanatana Dharma / Swami Bharati
- The Samskaras / R. B. Pandey
- The Marriage / P. K. Virdi
- The Stages of Life / S.
- The System of the isramas / P. N.
- Caste / P. S. S. Aiyer
- The Life after Death / G. S. Ghurye
- The Funeral Rites / P. V. Kane
- Ancestor Worship / K. V. Rangaswami
- Sacrifice / Swami Bharati Krishna
- Penances and Vows / D. C.
- Sravakacara / Brajakishore Swain
- Indian Pilgrim Tradition / J.
- Women and Religion / A. S. Altekar
- Hierarchy / J. H. Mees
- The Rajadharma / V. P. Verma
- Sources of Hindu Law / D. F. Mulla
- The Sacred Laws of the Hindus / M.
- Custom and Law in Ancient India / J.
D. M. Derrett
- The Family-Economic Institution /
- The Administration of Justice / A.
- The Theory of Adoption / D. S.
- Ethics and Politics in Hindu Culture
/ K. S. Murti
- Influence of Dharmasastra on the
Vaisnavism of Orissa / Brajakishore Swain
- Interpretation of Dharmasastra / M.
- Dharmasastras and the Modern Age /
P. T. Raju
(Dr.) Brajakishore Swain (b.1954) teaches Dharamasastra in the Post-Graduate Department of
Dharmasastra, Sri Jagannath Sanskrit University, Puri for the last twenty-four years. He
is credited with twenty-five books and more than sixty research papers in Sanskrit,
English, Oriya and Hindi. He is a regular columnist of newspapers in Oriya. At present he
is the President, Utkal Sanskrit Research Society, Puri; General Secretary, Praci Cult
Research Centre, Tulasipur, Puri; and Director, Centre of Advanced Research in Sanskrit,
Sri Jagannath Sanskrit University, Puri. He edits Journal of Indology (Sri Jagannath
Jyoti), Puri Orientalist and Digdarsini (Quarterly Sanskrit Journal).